Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Night Out

Because of my health problems, I don't get out a lot, but DH and I have been trying to get out once a week for a "date". We've seen films and had meals out together, but we decided to try a concert/gig as Sam Sparro was playing at the Colston Hall, and I've been enjoying listening to his album recently.

On the way in, I saw this graffiti portrait on a wall opposite one of the entrances to the Colston. It reminded me of a series of faces we used to see around Bristol a few years ago. (You can click on the picture for a bigger image with more detail).

 


There were two support acts, starting with a few numbers by MPHO, and then the very lively Sneaky Sound System, who really know how to work an audience. Like Sam Sparro, they originated in Australia. We weren't quite the oldest in the auditorium, but even I had heard some of their songs before.

 



I really did feel old, though. I'm no stranger to the visceral experience of pounding bass levels at live gigs, but unless the sound engineers are all severely deaf but lacking in insight, I cannot understand the reason or the point of balancing the sound channels in such a way that the vocals are all but lost in a cacophony of sound so extreme that it seems close to white noise.

By the time Sam Sparro was into his third number, the levels seemed to have been somewhat sorted and it was less painful, but the damage had been done to our ears, despite makeshift ear plugs to reduce the penetrative volume, and the tinnitus persisted for the rest of the night.

 


It could have been so much better, if only the sound levels had been appropriately managed - or is it just me? But I still enjoyed Black and Gold. I just need to replace the painful memories by listening to the CD again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a 'date night' ;-)

Too bad the music was too loud for you, though.

Wishing you well,
Paz

Merisi said...

You were lucky, the son of a friend of mine suffers from sensorineural hearing loss, thanks to the extreme noise levels he had to endure during a rock concert.

I am glad you did enjoy B&G! :-(

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Glad you were able to enjoy it despite.It's not you who is off about the pounding bass and sharp sound. I attended a show once where I thought the bass was going to stop my heart it was so penetrating. Scary.

Anonymous said...

Sue how lovely to have met you at the K&SHOW XX have you tried your new machine yet !! I have just returned to Devon from London,and tomorrow my new toy comes out of its box !!!love & laughter marie {:>)))) x