Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summery Supper - Salad Days

This week's warmer weather has caused us to make a transition to summery salad suppers, and I've been trying to think of different dishes to add to the salady bits to make a meal. Yesterday we had smoked mackerel fillets, which were delicious. I fancied a quiche today, so hit Google to find a gluten free recipe, as I've not yet found a very successful pastry crust method. This recipe caught my eye, as we have Polenta in the larder, so I gave it a go. The polenta crust was delicious, although I had to vary the method of making a little: I ended up kneading it into place in the quiche tin, pressing it out into a smooth layer before blind baking whilst making the filling. I would definitely repeat this recipe soon.



For some reason I cannot get this photo into landscape format, the quiche seems determined to be a half-moon!

I also made some muffins from the wonderful Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook: Maple and Pecan, again gluten free. They don't look like the ones in the book, but they taste excellent. I don't often bake because I really don't need the calories, but once in a while it's good to practice methods and try out some recipes. I enjoy the occasional cakey treat, too.


A little of what you fancy does you good!

1 comment:

Willow said...

It all looks yummy!