Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A curiosity



I have a house plant which totally fascinates me. I think it is called Oxalis triangulata, and it comes from the Andes (so I've got a sort of South American theme going on at the moment). It has extraordinary leaves, somewhat clover-like, in a maroon/aubergine/chocolate colour, and pale pink flowers. What I find so sweet is that it responds to the sunlight (like me) and sort of folds down its leaves and flowers at night (puts them to bed) almost like praying hands. It sits on the west-facing kitchen window sill most of the time, above the sink, so I find it easy to keep in touch with. It's more a pet than a houseplant!

3 comments:

Digitalgran said...

What a very unusual plant Sue? I love it. I shall be on the lookout for one in gardening centres.

Kari said...

Oh, isn't that lovely! I get as attached to plants as much as I do to pets an think it is perfectly OK to chat away to them on passing...

It is beautiful and I can imagine one in my home, too.

Kari x

Zaz said...

ooohh thats beautiful Sue!!!

cant wait to see the drawings, the design work and the finished piece from this wonderful beginning!

Sara