Thursday, June 10, 2010

Scotch Eggs

I have been eating a gluten-free diet for some time now, and I am fairly well-adjusted to it, but from time to time I really miss something from my wheaten days. At the end of last month, my eldest daughter celebrated her birthday with a trip to Bristol Zoo, and my younger daughter picked up a Scotch Egg as part of her lunch for the occasion. I felt very envious, but decided I needed to find a way of making them that did not involve wheat or gluten and preferably baked rather than fried - deep fat frying is just not a way of cooking I am equipped or desire to use.

Where would we be without the internet? So many recipes to choose from! I referred to this and this. I bought minced pork from the butcher, and processed it with sage, thyme, ground cloves and black pepper while my free-range hard-boiled eggs were cooling and shelled. Now I know how to make my own, rusk-free, sausage meat for Christmas stuffing! I divided my meat into six portions, one for each egg, and made a sort of egg-sized dip in a portion before moulding it around the egg. Once the six eggs were all enrobed in meat, I blitzed three slices of gluten-free bread into breadcrumbs, and beat another egg. The eggs were first rolled in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. I sprayed oil onto a baking sheet and put the eggs onto it before giving them a little oil spritz and placing them in the preheated oven.

The result:-



Really delicious they were, too, with salads, for all the family. Definitely another recipe to keep and repeat.

1 comment:

Willow said...

Wow, you've been busy! I loved the photos of the cordial. I'm sure I'd love the flavors too :)