Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The House by Simon Lelic


They Said:-

What if your perfect home turned out to be the scene of the perfect crime?
Londoners Jack and Syd moved into the house a year ago. It seemed like their dream home: tons of space, the perfect location, and a friendly owner who wanted a young couple to have it. So when they made a grisly discovery in the attic, Jack and Syd chose to ignore it. That was a mistake. Because someone has just been murdered. Right outside their back door. And now the police are watching them...

What I thought:-

Before I started this book, I was concerned that maybe it had already been done because I had read "The Girl Before" by JP Delaney earlier in the year, possibly this was because seeking a home in the overcrowded, unaffordable property market was a central element in both.  However, I need not have worried.  Simon Lelic told a very different, enthralling and engaging story of Jack and Syd, a couple in need of accommodation.  I was transported from my poolside lounger in Cyprus (good holiday reading) to their part of London, and was totally absorbed as their story and the mystery unfolded.  It is a moving tale: Syd has not had an easy life and, as she gets to know the house and the neighbourhood, disturbing echoes of her past developed, while Jack makes the grisly discovery in the loft.  It kept me guessing and threw me off the scent a few times, so the suspense was compounded.  A really enjoyable, surprising and satisfying tale, wherever you read it.



I am honoured to be part of this book tour - and look forward to discovering what other readers thought.  If you read it, please do let me know your opinions of it, too.






No comments: