Monday, March 13, 2006

A warped project

Last year I bought a spinning wheel and a weaving loom on eBay,and I span some yarn from Jacob wool I bought many years ago from a wool museum in Wales. This was very nubbly and textural, and there was not a lot to make into something. I thought about weaving it. I have joined the Avon Guild of Wevers, Spinners and Dyers, and someone there suggested using a commercial yarn for the warp, so I trotted off to John Lewis and found some yarn which was a good colour blend with my creation: Rowan's Felted Tweed wool. On Friday. I decided the day had come to christen the loom, so I warped up and then wove, initially with the Rowan wool, then with my homespun. This is the result:




The Rowan wool is lovely and makes a very nice balanced weave cloth, so that I'm tempted to buy some more to weave a scarf. My own homespun makes a more rustic cloth which is still very pleasing to me. I'm not sure what I will do with this cloth, as I'd meant it just as a sample, but it seems a shame not to do something with it nonetheless. Apart from a bag, a cushion or a hanging, has anyone any ideas?

No comments: