Friday, October 24, 2008

Waltham Abbey



Waltham Abbey is a very special place to me: it is somewhere I have known and loved for most of my life. I used some of it as inspiration for my City and Guilds Design Study on walls, and I love the visible history of repurposing demolished areas in building new walls, rough edges evidencing previous structures and the way that different elements have weathered and worn.



It is a building that has a lot of history, as you can read on Barbara's blog and here.



On this occasion, I visited in the company of two princesses: Sara Lechner, who was visiting the UK for the occasion of the Knitting and Stitching Show, and my own Sarah (elder daughter). It's always good to share special places, especially when those being introduced get why it is special, and that magic was with us on this occasion.



We went inside as well, but I do not have photographs as my daughter was doing photographer duty. The interior is lovely, and also lovely is the fact that it is a very obviously living church as well as a historic monument.



I feel that I must soon revisit the artwork I produced in response to the Abbey and see what it inspires now, nearly a decade later.



It was a wonderful visit.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

you really did get some very interesting and unusual photos here. I like them. I must check out the links yu give too.

smithsan said...

The Photos are good to see, Ownership of the Waltham land passed to the future King Harold, who founded a college of 12 Augustinian Canons to look after a new church, Explore inspiring pictures of landmarks, hotels, and attractions in Waltham Abbey.
-----------
smithsan
influencer