Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Doors Part 4 - details

 


On our last day in Marrakesh we walked beyond the Post Office towards the Mellah, and passed this splendid door, above.

Even knockers, handles and bolts are interesting in Marrakesh. Those pictured below serve a second function in everyday life in the medina: one sees men twisting rayon floss and other threads to create great lengths of cord and braid, which are then used to embellish kaftans, djellebahs, and cloth bags. Wonderful low tech creativity, and the remnants remain to bear witness when the cords are cut off.

 


 


 

7 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Eeek, all these door pics are *fab*!!! You must come back!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I've enjoyed all your door posts today....the English ones feel like "home" to me, although I am not English (or at least, I'm English only by ancestry but not birth)...and these others are exotic. It was quite fascinating to hear about how all those wispy bits of string and yarn and cord came to adorn the door handles...

Patty said...

I love all of your doors, but especially like the ones with the yarn/string on them

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed all your door photos! Beautiful! Thank you.

Paz

Mélanie said...

Wonderful pictures of Morrocan doors , I specially LOve the details

Frank Gardner said...

An amazing collection of doors and details Sue. I have got to get to Marrakesh.

Terry said...

Wonderful doors Sue, the Morrocan doors look like it was the trip of a lifetime. Especially love the door trimmed with bits of string, the human touch.